It was another interesting week in the world of food and health research. Here are some of the highlights we found:
- Mobile/van-based market helps improve fruit and veggie intake in lower-income communities.
- People who meditated over an eight-week period had a striking change in the expression of 172 genes that regulate inflammation, circadian rhythms and glucose metabolism. And that, in turn, was linked to a meaningful decrease in their blood pressure.
- [In Animals] Researchers found that zinc oxide nanoparticles at doses that are relevant to what you might normally eat in a meal or a day can change the way that your intestine absorbs nutrients or your intestinal cell gene and protein expression.
- People who received medically-tailored home-delivered meals, the net savings in medical costs was $220 per person per month.
- On average, it takes about 50 hours of time with someone before you consider them a casual friend, 90 hours before you feel comfortable upgrading them to just “friend,” and around 200 hours of quality time before you’d consider the two of you to be close.